Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mother of the Year contest

This morning I had the pleasure of delivering hardbound copies of An Incredible Dream to every producer, and I'm not being sarcastic.  I love the smell of new books, I love the feeling of a book in my hands.  I love how you can read a book without feeling like you're staring at a floodlight; some of these big-screen HD computer monitors aren't far from it.  I opened up a bunch of boxes, stacked books on a cart, and noted the most witty quips from people who suspected this book was less of a gift and more of a merger hurdle.

Otherwise, I spent most of my time going through the nearly 10k submissions we received for our Mother of the Year contest.  I felt pretty bad judging people in the beginning, and ended up 'starring' one out of every twenty, until I learned that we should probably shoot for more like one out of seventy five.  It got easier after that, especially considering a good, clear picture is a must.  It sounds superficial, but TV is a visual medium - it would be different if it were a radio contest.  It began to be tough again after the 4th hour or so, I just couldn't help but feel a little down after reading submission after submission about moms with sicknesses or kids with sicknesses.  It makes me glad for my good health and my family's good health, because there are a lot of medical issues out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment