Monday, April 2, 2012

A full bin of comments

I thought I got a bunch of negative calls after the Brinkley fiasco, but it was nothing compared to the shitstorm that blew in after people realized that Sarah Palin is actually going to co host for an hour tomorrow. It wasn't an April Fools joke, although it is (or should be) kind of funny. After about an hour at the desk the comments line was full. That didn't bother about a third of callers, however, as they would call with a shaky voice, full of rage, and blurt out a tirade only to end it with a stick-it-to-the-man hang up, not leaving me a chance to say anything. The first time that happened it really bothered me, because I really do try to help people when they call, but after a few more I found solace in apathy. If it makes them feel better to rant to an intern, so be it. After a while I ended up enjoying being a rage sponge for these lonely people.

I'll be going in tomorrow early to work control room, and I'm looking forward to it. I feel like ratings season must be close or something, because it seems like the show is pushing it's self-defined status quo. Of course I've only been here a week so I could be way off base, but it seems like the programming is getting more tumultuous than normal.

In other news, I met candidly with a producer in the mail room towards the end of the day. His reputation as a nice, genuine guy proceeds him, and for good reason. We chatted about sit-coms and he showed me a cave of all sorts of shows and movies, and he also recommended that I watch a few series in particular, seeing as I want to eventually write and produce my own. He gave me the same sort of advice that I've been hearing, that I should make the most of this experience in various ways; but I really took it to heart this time. I felt like he was talking to me instead of at me, but that may be because I was paying particular attention to what he was saying. Something about his personality or character piqued my motivation to pay attention. I wish I could put my finger on it, maybe he's just a good leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment