Monday, March 26, 2012

Day the First

I 'woke up' in time to meet my intern buddy in the lobby so we could catch a cab. I don't think I got any sleep last night, but strangely I felt rested.

We were sent from the visiting center to orientation, only to find that we were in the new hire orientation. After a quick stop back to the center, we met with our intern coordinator, our daily supervisor, and we also met our fellow interns. We met with Matt, who was understandably bummed, but understanding, about OU's run in the tourney. He was more personable, and taller, than I thought he would be, and he single-handedly calmed the butterflies in my stomach that always come on the first day of anything.

I logged tape for the most part, in between learning the ins and outs of intern duties. Some say logging tape is the most dull task available. I hope so, because if so, I'm in for the most engaging, productive, and fun experience I've ever had.

I have to be in to work at 5:30 tomorrow morning to help out in the control room, but fortunately NBC sends a car to its people if they need to be in before 7am. Waking up won't be difficult this time, relatively speaking. I've had to be at work at 5:30am only once before, at Macy's, for my first day, on Black Friday. I'd much rather get up to do this.

And I think that sums up my first impression: I'm more motivated to do this work than any other work or school I've had to do. The work environment is unreal, or perhaps surreal, or perhaps I've just never worked in a big city at a big company before. I mean, I even get my own ID card to swipe at security points. I might be jaded to the fact that big companies all have security measures like that, but actually going through the motions gives you a good, if not proud, feeling.

So far the only bad thing is how fast the elevators go. I swear they drain my skull of blood every time I go up, and I've only gone up 5 floors at the most at once. At least I know I can't ever be a jet pilot.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Max! Welcome to NYC. You are off on a grad adventure-- and I'm thrilled that even the lowest job is exciting and interesting. We are proud of you and can't wait to hear more...
    L, J, and S

    ReplyDelete