Sunday, March 25, 2012

About the blog

Hello reader, welcome to my first semi-professional blog about my first 'big time' professional experience! I'll be posting daily about life for a New York City newbie while I intern at NBC for the next few months.

A little about me for background info...

I'm a Midwestern guy from Cincinnati, Ohio, and as I mentioned, I haven't ever been to New York City. I used to live in the UK near London, however, and I was able to visit Geneva, Paris, Stockholm, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Lanzarote, Sardignia, Gothenburg, Edinburg, and Rotenburg, among other places. My father was working towards his doctorate at University College London at the time, and his company decided to pay for a good deal of our cost of living, which gave us the lucky opportunity to travel when we could.

We were expatriates for two years, and returned to the States in time for me to start high school in Cincinnati. I attended Ohio State University for my first two years as an undergraduate. I didn't have an idea of what I wanted to study, but I figured that one of the largest universities in the country would have the facilities for whatever field I chose.

Of course, I decided on the one field where Ohio State hasn't a proper program - video production.

Fortunately for a student like me looking to stay in state, Ohio University has a fantastic Media Arts and Studies school, which includes video production classes, and first-class intern opportunities. In fact, internship oportunity was one of the major reasons I decided to transfer at all, so I feel very lucky that I was selected as one of the six students that OU sends annually to Today as interns.


I wanted to call this the 'Ultimate Experience', but one thing I've learned after moving from place to place validates the old hackneyed Emerson maxim 'Life is a journey, not a destination'.

Life, in every way except as a whole, is penultimate. Lucky us!

No comments:

Post a Comment